Tuesday, June 15, 2010

HVOS Shikshan and Rahat Sangh Election Chaos

To Halari Visa Oswal Samaj Election Organizing committee,

At the start I completely accept that organizing such a large scale event must have taken a lot of precious hours of a lot of important people, I appreciate all the hard work done in it.

It has nonetheless left a very sour taste in my mouth. So much so - that I have discussed and argued a lot yesterday with a lot of elected representatives and voters and am surprised with my findings and observations.

-> Why were there no "English" names in forms?

-> There were no instructions on how to vote. Why this is a problem will be clear in following points.

-> What was Age-education-profession of candidates? How do i make a decision on whom to vote for? Most females and younger generation folks dont know 264 people just by their name / town. More information (at the least Age-education-profession) should have been there in the ballot, online and elsewhere (including advertising pamphlets).

-> On the ballots, nowhere is it mentioned to limit votes till 130. I have put 132 (50% of 264 names on the ballot). I have been told my vote will be invalid. I have done Postgraduation and given many professional exams. I am not alone - there are 10s or 100s of such educated people (grads, postgrads) whose votes will be considered invalid in an election for education institution. Shocking!!!!!!!
Why will my vote be invalid? There should have been clear instruction on the ballot. And in english too.
If my (and many such) vote doesnt get counted, i want a written statement to that effect explaining the reason(s).

-> Nowhere was it written on how to vote. Meaning a tickmark or cross sign or YES / NO or Y / N or what sign. No votes should be disqualified because of such a reason.

-> I have been told by many folks that we cant allow such votes now because of constitution --- If this is a reply, please call me and I will explain why that is grossly unfair. Constitution is for the benefit of people. Does it mention in the constitution that in advertisements, we will talk of 130 people in 2 parties, totalling 260. but when you goto vote, you will see 264 names? Where was it written on ballot that one has to vote for 130 and not 132 or 100 or 200 people? Or bcos of tick vs cross.
Will a decision to invalidate votes stand in the court of law? Since there was no written info on ballot, I would think not.

-> How were the nominees chosen? When was this process done? We were not aware of it. Please spread this information as well for future elections.

-> It was very very clear during advertisements and when entering the samaj wadi that there are two groups. After the vote, i was told that is not the case. Grouping is only unofficial? If so, why were they spreading pamphlets and shouting to vote for one - within wadi premises?? Nowhere was it mentioned that I could vote for any of the 264 people irrespective of the group.
Which is why you will find most people have voted for Group A or Group B ---- if groups were unofficial, this is highly immoral by the groups and the samaj to make voters believe that there are groups and we should vote for the groups.

Sumeet Mohan Savla
Borivali - East, Mumbai

1 comment:

Parag Savla said...

Wow thats great that you have followed up. I shall love to spread and help reforming a better system.

Lets do it.